Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rajneeti, Mahabharat and Amar Chitra Katha

I liked Rajneeti. Yes, some part of the second half could have been differently presented. But i loved the movie. One of the decent movies in the recent times for sure. Had some power packed performances. Good script.

 

“Good script” a rare commodity these days. Cinema people simply seem to forget that the Cinema exists only because of story telling.  Rajneeti was based on Maharabharat. Mahabharat still continues to amaze all of us with every new adaptation like that in Rajneeti. In one of the discussions recently,  i realized not everybody has read Mahabharat. I started thinking, as to when did i first read Mahabharat. Yes, B R Chopra’s Mahabharat on DD-1 was one very good source, but other than that i remember Amar Chitra Katha played a vital role. Amar Chitra Katha used to have the stories presented in visual medium, drawings (the way they are done in comics). Drawings are the most engaging way to have the stories told to kids. Amar chitra katha books used to be on deep research of the story that they are telling. They used to re-create the entire culture in front of your eyes. I miss Amar Chitra Kathas today. I saw that they have the web site. They are still selling. But Amar Chitra Kathas should be more popular than Harry potter books at least in India. But they are not!

I plan to get entire collection of Amar chitra Katha some day at my place. Yes, they still continue to fascinate me, engage me. I feel we should urge our near and dear ones  (and most importantly their kids)  to read Amar Chitra Kathas. They are the best form of passing on the legacy and heritage to our kids.

 

- Harsh

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely re: Rajneeti and Amar Chitra Katha. I had almost all the issues of ACK once, but donated the set to local library.
    As for "They are the best form of passing on the legacy and heritage to our kids." .. well, not the BEST.. the best way to pass on the heritage is to make kids listen to these and other stories from their grand-parents.

    ReplyDelete